Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

HURRICANE KATRINA QUILTS

HURRICANE KATRINA QUILTS:

The last week of August 2005 several boxes of fabric and scraps plus 2 full rolls of polyester batting were delivered to my house to use "as I saw fit". Thankfully there was room in the workroom to sort and stack all this while I tried to figure out how to get it all organized and made into quilts. The same week, I had gone thru my personal fabric stash and moved a lot out to the workroom to make donation or soldier quilts.

 When the news showed the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina, I knew why the Lord had supplied all this at this time. Between Sept. 3 and Oct. 15, 2005 HM and I worked literally around the clock (around family, work, church, and school) to make cot sized quilts to go to the needy in that ravaged area. Most were sent down with the Salvation Army, but the remainder went down with people we knew who went to help out. Our final tally showed 70 cot size quilts made and donated.

We could not have done it without the supplies, so thank you again to those who helped in every way. The below photo was taken on 9-9-05 and there were 22 quilts ready to go. We didn't get any other photos.



Needless to say, I really did not end up having to organize or store the supplies - they were used and gone and I am so glad to have had a part in this wonderful help to hurting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment