Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

FIRST QUILT - ONE PATCH

ONE PATCH: This was the very first quilt I made by myself. It was a big twin size and the top was  made in the summer of 1980 (using my mom's old White sewing machine) as a teenager living in Forsyth, MT. I used scissors and a pattern cut from cardboard (probably a cereal box). The pattern wore out fast and I had to use several to get enough cut squares to complete the top. Some of the blocks were not 4" square which taught me a lot about cutting accurately and how to piece carefully. The top is fabric that I purchased at garage sales as clothing that was still in good condition. There is a mix of cotton and poly/cotton.  I tied it with white yarn that fall while living in Laurel, MT.



It never did get a binding - at first because I didn't know how, and later because I had moved on to other projects. The batting was some old blanket my mom allowed me to use. The backing was a purple floral flannel my mom had on hand.

It was in use until 1994 and by then was in such ratty condition I threw it away. Without a binding the edges were seriously frayed.  Plus I washed it frequently and many of the fabrics had ripped and frayed (#1).

No comments:

Post a Comment