Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

IRISH CHAIN (Handquilted)

IRISH CHAIN (Handquilted):

I pieced this quilt from various blue cotton scraps and a red linen in early 2008. The blue squares are 2.5". I really did use scraps so pieced all the 9 patch blocks and then added the alternate red (linen) blocks to make the "chain".

 It had been years since I hand quilted a cotton batting so I wanted to try it again. A huge mistake in Indiana as the humidity makes the cotton stick to the needle and it just drags and is very hard to quilt.  I don't want or need sore fingers.

Because of how hard it was to hand quilt, it was in and out of my frame many times. I was so  unhappy with the batting and so got a customer quilt or some other of my own with wool batting to put in the frame instead for awhile.

 Yes, I am spoiled by the ease of quilting with a wool batting. I finally put the last hand quilted stitch in during July 2011.

By the time I got to the outside border to quilt, I was just sick of the quilt so that was machine quilted by RLM in August 2011 - wow, the quilt was completely quilted !!!



I just got the binding done.  I would love to be outside in my flower garden, but it is so humid that I can't breathe, so I put in an old movie and the binding is done - yippee !!!!!

The backing is a cotton in red, white, and blue.

The finished size is 80" x 80".


Update 03/28/2020: 

Here are some better photos.  It is a beautiful quilt, even with the nasty cotton batting.









In my quilt scrapbook, this is #770.

No comments:

Post a Comment