Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

FAN QUILT (or a blue and white scrap quilt)

FAN QUILT:

I wanted to make a fancy quilt for my sister when she married in the fall of 1988. I love the way fan quilts look, but was not sure about the curved parts.  So I just decided to push myself and do the quilt.

 After all, I was still reasonably new at making bed size quilts at that point, and part of me said this pattern was way over my skill level and part of me said I needed to push myself. I knew if I wanted to get better at quilting I needed to challenge myself.

So I sorted my scraps to make the fan blades. My scrap bin wasn't very big at this point so I ended up adding purchased blues to the pile of cut pieces. The white was bleached muslin.

The pattern probably came from "Quilt" Magazine as that was the only quilting magazine I could get while living in Germany. I would have made many cardboard templates to cut all these pieces (they wear out fast and have to be constantly replaced to have accurate pieces).

My notes do not say the fan block size, but it would have finished at about 8" in order for the quilt to be double size.  There was no outside border.

I wasn't doing hand quilting on bed size quilts at this point, so I tied it with white yarn.  The backing was a white flat sheet.



While the fan blades were fun to piece, I sure did not enjoy doing the curved edges of the fan.

My fourth finished quilt !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment