Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

AMISH CENTER DIAMOND (Handquilted)


I started this quilt in 1991 in honor of my Grandma's Amish/Mennonite heritage. I actually bought all the cotton fabrics at an Amish dry goods store in Arthur, IL - the ladies at the shop were great about double checking my math on yardage.  By the time I finished it in 1996, Grandma had died.

I did most of the hand quilting myself, but was able to have one quilting bee that involved LT, JG, BP, GS, EE, SS, MM, MK, TC, and BK. I tried to keep track of how much quilting there was in it, but after 400 yards of hand quilting decided to quit counting (and I wasn't to the outside border yet). I chose to quilt each of the outer purple borders a different all over pattern - fun, but definitely not traditional. It took so long to quilt because I would quilt for a customer, then put this one back in the frame until the next customer quilt arrived.

 It is cotton fabric with poly batting (I hadn't discovered wool batting yet). It won first prize in the local county fair in 1998, and was also shown in the local quilt guild show the same year.



The backing is a brown print with small black flowers.

The center square and green triangles were measurements from the book, Amish Quilt Patterns by Rachel T. Pellman. From that point, I adjusted the blue and purple borders to suit me. The top itself was quick to piece - 2 hours.

 Size is 96" square.

In my scrapbook, this is quilt #167.

No comments:

Post a Comment