Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

QUEEN ELIZABETH I AND HER LADIES

QUEEN ELIZABETH I AND HER LADIES: 

I designed this by drawing out a rough design in 2000, and then just doing the blocks in fabric (the nice thing about fabric is that mistakes can be covered up) and copyrighted this design in 2001. 

It was a great way to use up some of my stash of silk, satin, and taffata fabrics. Another relative who likes to embroider did all the embroidery. I did the beading, applique, and piecing. It actually was a really fun project that we worked on for about 15 months, the top being finished in spring 2001. 

The blocks are 19" x 24". 

It is machine quilted in April 2001 by CM that same month.
 Finished size is 69" x 55". 

I sold over 100 of the pattern when I took it off the market in 2008. I love quilting. But I also enjoy blogging because I think it is encouraging to other quilters to see that simple things can and do make beautiful quilts. It is also is just fine to follow your own heart and make a quilt "pattern" that fits what makes you happy.  I did not make this quilt intending to make or sell patterns - I simply wanted to try a technique and theory I had in my head. 

In 2006, this quilt met with a small accident, and a small section of the binding was burned - to date I haven't repaired it yet. I finally took off that small section of binding and replaced that area with a piece of the same satin as the original.  Unless a person know where to look, the fix is un-noticeable.

 It gets a lot of really nice comments anywhere I show it. (#300)

No comments:

Post a Comment