Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

FLYING GEESE (Handquilted)



Flying Geese - Again, the fabrics are reproductions of fabric from mid 1700's through the Civil War. I had plenty of geese cut out and some sewed before leaving home for Maine last week, but they were all in various stages of sewing and I did not count to actually be sure I had enough to do a queen size (I didn't - glad I took some extra with me in-case). I got the sashing and border fabric at the fabric store in Chapman, ME. Anyway worked on this Saturday and finished it on Sunday. It will be hand quilted in May at a Revolution War re-enactment that I do the handquilting demo/teaching at every year. Will use a wool batt and plain muslin for backing. It is approx. 90" x 90". The top photo is this quilt in the quilting frame at the historical event in late May. Currently there are 6 complete rows of "geese" quilted and areas of some other rows done. I have it at home now, and work on it a little each eveing. Soooooooo relaxing......

The bottom picture is of the quilt now that it is completely quilted. I finished handquilting all but the very outside border in March 2011. The outside border was machine quilted by RLM in April 2011. I took a suggestion and used 6 different blue toile fabrics from my personal collection of toile to make the back, which allows me to use the toile without cutting it up since I just sew the yardage together for the back. In this quilt it really adds to the old fashioned look of the total quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment